Inspired by a review of poverty in her hometown of Charlottesville, VA called the Orange Dot Report, Susan Freeman Weiner conceived of Orange Dot Baking Company to generate local employment while producing a healthy, flavorful alternative to existing high-glycemic, gluten free breads.
As an avid gluten free cook, Susan built Orange Dot on innovation in both its baking process and its recipes—much to the delight of her celiac son, Andrew.
Our bread is special because it is made with an innovative, proprietary baking process that locks in the moisture and expands the cell structure of the bread.
The recipes are also innovative because:
- they do not use any xanthan gum (which causes intestinal distress!),
- are low in tapioca starch (which is high-glycemic!)
- are packed with high energy ingredients like organic eggs and sunflower, pumpkin, quinoa, chia and amaranth seeds,
- and baked with great flavors!
It is a versatile bread that works well as a French toast for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch, a hamburger bun for dinner--or simply toasted with goat cheese and a glass of red wine.
Our flavors are fantastic!
- Plain Delicious—simple, classic, delicious bread that goes with everything
- Everything Better—classic flavors of onion, garlic, poppy seed and salt
- Cinnamon Raisin—plump organic raisins with lots of cinnamon
- Chocolate Chip—Plain Delicious bread with semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Santa Fe Savory—roasted corn, jalapeno, and a touch of garlic
- Super-seeded—sunflower, pumpkin, quinoa, amaranth, and chia seeds
- Rustic Rosemary—rosemary, sunflower, pumpkin, quinoa, and chia seeds
- Tasty Tuscan—sun-dried tomato and basil, crushed red pepper, and a touch of garlic
In 2015, Susan began baking in her home kitchen and selling at the Charlottesville farmer’s market. In late 2017 Orange Dot moved into a new dedicated, gluten free baking facility. Our bread is sold by more than15 food retailers and restaurants in Charlottesville, and is expanding to new markets. Come try our bread and learn how amazing GF bread can be!